The United States Tennis Association announced the Owensboro Tennis Complex as one of 12 winners in the USTA Facility Awards program. This annual program recognizes excellence in the construction and renovation of tennis facilities throughout the United States.
The $4.1 million tennis complex opened in April 2015 and features six indoor courts (inside the Centre Court building) and nine outdoor courts. The facility was built through a partnership between the City of Owensboro and the Owensboro-Daviess County Tennis Association.
To be considered for an award, facilities must be under the jurisdiction of a park and recreation department, an educational institution, a nonprofit corporation or be a private or commercially owned and operated facility that offers both USTA and public programming designed to help grow tennis.
Facilities were judged on the following criteria:
- overall layout and adaptation to site;
- excellence of court surface and lights;
- ease of maintenance;
- accommodations for players, spectators, and press/officials;
- graphics (including the use of signs and landscaping);
- amenities such as casual seating for spectators, food services, and social areas;
- and the facilities’ participation in USTA programs.
The Owensboro Tennis Complex will be honored on September 1 at an awards luncheon during the USTA semi-annual meeting.
Tags: Calhoun Construction, NuCor, Owensboro Kentucky, Owensboro tennis facility, USTA Awards