Evansville, like the rest of the country, was beginning to recover from the depths of the Depression in the mid-1930s when several teachers decided to pool their savings to generate much-needed loans for their fellow workers and themselves in 1936. The first employee groups to be served by Evansville Teachers Federal Credit Union were the Board of Education and Evansville College in Evansville, Indiana, now known as the Evansville-Vanderburgh School Corporation and the University of Evansville.
Other educational groups in southwestern Indiana were later added to the field of membership, and western Kentucky educational groups were incorporated when the Owensboro Public Schools Federal Credit Union merged with the Evansville Teachers Federal Credit Union in 1992. Other employment groups and organizations that are unrelated to the educational field joined in the years that followed so that their employees and members might also benefit from the “People Helping People” philosophy.
In 2016, Evansville Teachers Federal Credit Union acquired Liberty Financial (then First Liberty Financial Mortgage). This acquisition allowed Liberty Financial to offer a broader menu of financial services that were not previously available as an independent mortgage banking institution. As a member-owned financial cooperative, ETFCU strives to offer increased value to its members. Liberty Financial fits perfectly within this service focused mindset, now offering more services with the same high level of customer service their clients have become accustomed to receiving.
Evansville Teachers Federal Credit Union is one of the largest credit unions in Indiana and continues to thrive. Much of the success of the institution is due to the scores of volunteers who have served on the credit union’s Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee, the management, the dedicated staff, and especially the members who entrust their financial affairs to ETFCU.
Calhoun Construction is overseeing the revitalization of the northwest corner of the busy intersection of Hwy 146 and Hwy 329 in Crestwood. Serving as general contractor, Calhoun is responsible for abatement and demolition of the existing 4 buildings on the project site prior to construction of a new 6000 sf Liberty Financial banking institution. The structure consists of structural steel and cold form framing to support a standing seam metal roof with brick and precast façade with Eifs and GRFG accents. One of the highlights is the Velux skylight which baths the interior lobby with natural light to create a warm and welcoming environment. Construction started March 2021 and will be complete in October of 2021.
Bastian Solutions, a Toyota Advanced Logistics company, is an independent material handling and robotics system integrator providing automated solutions for distribution, manufacturing, and order fulfillment centers around the world. They specialize in consulting, system design, project management, maintenance, and installation, while sourcing the best equipment and automation technology.
Calhoun Construction served as the Construction Manager for Interior Renovation
Jimmy John’s has all-natural* meats and fresh veggies in-house every day. Their fresh-baked bread is made in the store where you can see it, and their house-made tuna salad is fresh every day. The flavor of a ripe tomato, crisp shredded lettuce, combined with fresh-baked bread, fresh-sliced meat and real Hellmann’s® mayo – that’s when the magic happens. Made with love every single day since 1983. That’s Jimmy Fresh!
Calhoun Construction served as the General Contractor self-performing the interior demolition on a location in Louisville, Kentucky.
Undisclosed On-line Retailer
Calhoun has been selected to build a new 195,000 SF operations warehouse for an undisclosed on-line retailer. Developed by Poe Companies, the operations at the 26 acre site will ultimately be supported by a fleet of electric vans with the potential to be charged using solar technology. The expected construction cost is anticipated to be approximately $30 million.
The warehouse will receive, sort, and locally disperse packages via delivery vans. The parking lot will be equipped with an underground labyrinth of power and data designed to charge and track the fully electric fleet. Although still in a conceptual phase, there is a study to add solar panels to the roof of the warehouse that will be used to power the charging stations and thereby drive the companies goal to reduce it’s carbon footprint.
In 1891, Thomas Ripy built the Old Hickory Distillery in Tyrone, Kentucky, near Lawrenceburg, on the former site of the Old Moore Distillery. After Prohibition, the Ripy family (Thomas had died in 1902) repaired the distillery and began to again produce bourbon. The Ripys sold the bourbon produced at this distillery to various wholesalers who bottled bourbon under their own brands. Austin Nichols was one of these wholesalers.
The “Wild Turkey” brand is said to have arisen after an Austin Nichols executive, Thomas McCarthy, took some warehouse samples on a wild turkey hunting trip in 1940. The bourbon proved so popular among his friends they continued to ask him for “that wild turkey bourbon.” Austin Nichols began to bottle Wild Turkey in 1942.
The Ripys were bought out in 1949 by Robert and Alvin Gould.
For the next three decades, Austin Nichols remained a non-distiller producer—bottling bourbon purchased on the open market under the Wild Turkey brand. Much of this whiskey was purchased from the Ripys/Gould distillery in Tyrone. In 1971, Austin Nichols purchased the facility, then known as the Boulevard Distillery, and changed the name to the Wild Turkey Distillery.
In 1980, the distillery and the Wild Turkey brand were purchased by Pernod Ricard.
On May 9, 2000, a fire destroyed a seven-story aging warehouse at the company in Anderson County, Kentucky. It contained more than 17,000 wooden barrels of whiskey.
In 2009, the Campari Group acquired the distillery and the Wild Turkey brand from Pernod Ricard.
In 2013, Campari opened a new bottling facility at the Wild Turkey Distillery. For the previous 13 years Wild Turkey had been bottled offsite in Indiana and, later, Arkansas.In addition to the Wild Turkey products, Campari’s SKYY vodka is also bottled there after being shipped from the Illinois distillery.
Calhoun Construction served at a General Contractor self-performing nine (9) landing gear pads for tractor-trailer storage lots and loading docks. Calhoun also constructed a 14,000 SF warehouse parking lot expansion including site grading, aggregate profile, asphalt profile, and striping.
Matt Winn’s Steakhouse at Churchill Downs
Matt Winn attended every single Kentucky Derby for 75 years. His first was the first.
Over those 75 years he served as a pioneer and innovator of horse racing at the iconic Churchill Downs Racetrack, changing the landscape of the Kentucky Derby forever.
Now, we invite you to Matt Winn’s Steakhouse to take part in this bygone era, from the grand traditions to the infallible fashion, all while celebrating what’s to come. Start with steak. Indulgent, gorgeous prime steak. Treat yourself to tableside service, and taste some of the world’s finest wines and whiskeys while overlooking the historic Churchill Downs Racetrack.
Grab your hat. Let’s turn some heads.
Calhoun Construction was proud to serve as the Construction Manager for this iconic steakhouse.
The first Galt House Hotel opened in 1835 on Second and Main Streets by Colonel Ariss Throckmorton. The site had once been the home of Dr. W.C. Galt, noted physician and botanist of his day, who was friends with such distinguished men as John James Audubon, who mentions Dr. Galt in his journals, and Dr. Ephraim McDowell.
According to the New York Times, on Wednesday, January 11, 1865, the Galt House Hotel started burning and was “entirely in ruins” by 3:30 a.m. A warehouse on the eastern side was also destroyed. Two lives were lost, and the origin of the fire has been a mystery ever since.
The second Galt House Hotel was designed by architect Henry Whitestone at 1st and Main St, a block away from the original hotel. It cost $1.5 million (1869 dollars).
In the early 20th century, business and culture moved away from the riverfront to the Broadway district. As traffic on 1st and Main dwindled, so did hotel revenue, and the second Galt House Hotel closed in 1919. It was razed in 1921 to make way for the Belknap Hardware building.
By the early 1970’s, Louisville’s Waterfront had been all but abandoned. Local developer Mr. Al J. Schneider had a vision for a prosperous business district, starting with an expansive convention hotel right on the river. Mr. Schneider opened the Galt House Hotel – then only one tower – in 1972.
In 1984, Mr. Al J. Schneider opened the East Tower, giving the hotel its distinctive two-tower structure. The East Tower consists predominantly of suites, providing guests even more space and comfort than ever before.
In 2004, the Galt House Hotel replaced a simple walkway between the two towers with the magnificent 3rd Floor Conservatory. This steel and glass enclosed lounge was modeled on the Crystal Palace build in the middle of Hyde Park, London in 1851 for the Great Exhibition. The Conservatory features Al J’s Lounge, name for founder Al J. Schneider, and Thelma’s Deli, named for Mr. Schneider’s wife. It also serves as a tribute to naturalist John James Audubon, friend of Dr. W.C. Galt.
Calhoun Construction served as the General Contractor to renovate the 8,000 sf Conservatory Atrium Bar after an extensive renovation of the towers completed in 2020.
Celebrate anything and everything with Party City in Louisville, KY ! Party City is America’s favorite party store in for birthday party supplies, baby shower favors, Halloween costumes, and more. Get your party goods for less – everything you need for theme parties, wedding receptions, retirement parties, and sporting events.
With over 850 stores in the United States, Party City is the nation’s largest party retailer, offering a huge selection of general and seasonal party supplies. They have been in the party business for thirty years, growing from a single location to a well-known national chain. The retail outlet in Louisville, KY is a one-stop shop for birthdays, Halloween parties, baby showers, and holiday events.
Calhoun Construction served as the General Contractor self performing restoration work from a flood at the Dixie Highway location.
Churchill Downs Turn 1 Hotel & Historical Gaming Facility
Horse racing in Kentucky dates back to 1789, when the first race course was constructed in Lexington. Almost 100 years later, in 1875, Churchill Downs officially opened its gates in Louisville, and began its tradition as “Home of the Kentucky Derby” and the longest continually running sporting event in America.
“Churchill Down Turn 1” is a new, seven story (with one intermediate level) entertainment and hospitality facility with covered permanent stadium seating, hotel, and historical racing machine (HRM) facility in the first turn at the legendary Churchill Downs racetrack. The first-floor level HRM includes state-of-the-art gaming floor, sports bar, VIP lounge and multiple year-round dining venues. There is an intermediate or mid-level between the first and second level for Back-of-House functions to serve the guests. The second-floor level is the 27,000 sq. ft. ballroom and meeting rooms that have access to the 2nd floor party deck to watch racing. On level 3 is an additional party deck and the Hotel workout facility. The 156 hotel rooms are on the four levels, 3 through 6, and feature trackside suites, which will offer private balconies and covered panoramic views of the entire tack, as well as non-track facing rooms. The trackside suites convert to observation suites during the Kentucky Derby. The top (seventh) level is a penthouse Banquet Room and additional observation decks.
Kentucky Exposition Center Gate 1
The Kentucky Exposition Center (KEC), formerly Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center (KFEC) was originally built in 1956. KEC is a large multi-use facility in Louisville, Kentucky, United States. It is overseen by the Kentucky State Fair Board, and is one of the ten largest facilities of its type in the U.S., with over 1,200,000 sqft of indoor space.
Calhoun Construction is serving as the General Contractor renovating the Gate 1 entrance. Gate 1 handles more than 50% of all traffic that enters the center. The renovation include expanding the existing gate from it’s current 5 vehicular gates to a total of 10 vehicular gates. The renovation will also include 10 new toll booths for employees covered by a steel framed canopy with integrated digital technology, and a new auxiliary building that will host a restroom and IT space.